EDAC error

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 15:03:00 UTC 2008

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 21:58 -0500, Roger Heflin wrote:
>> Brent Snow, Mr. wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>

>>>             I am having a problem with a new Dell PowerEdge 1900 Server
>>> running Fedora 8.
>>>

>>>             The System setup is as follows:
>>>

>>>             2 - Xeon  E5310 (Quad-Core 1.6 GHz) processors
>>>

>>>             16 GB of RAM, I SATA 80 GB HDD.
>>>

> Holy Smokes! 2 quad cores? That's 8 cores total(?) and 16 GIGS of Ram??
> My Gawd, not only am I jealous as all hell, I'm wondering what kinda
> kernel are you running?? Any sort of stock kernel would roll over and
> join the Choir Eternal.

Actually fairly normal kernels work just fine on the large boxes, I have ran
stock FC6 kernels up to 8 cpus/16 cores and up to 64GB of ram with no issues.

> Wouldn't you be running some sort of mini clustering setup?? Setup
> right, it should really blow serious coal. Your problem might lie in
> that direction. You might have training wheels on a Dodge Hemi. With a
> machine like that, I could almost do without eating!
> <huge drooling grins> Ric

Clustering setups are only needed when you have more than 1 machine, having lots
of cpus on a single machine is much easier than clustering as you don't need
have to worry about the networking, and the memory can be shared easily between
the cpus.

                             Roger