Installing Fedora 8 on Intel Core Duo

Giulio Troccoli giulio.troccoli at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Mar 22 17:33:23 UTC 2008

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-03-22 at 15:36 +0000, Giulio Troccoli wrote:
>
>> I have just bought a new PC which I am going to use as a server. I have
>> been using Fedora Core 5 on the old one for about 5 years and I was very
>> happy with it. I am also using Fedora 8 on my laptop and I'm very happy
>> with it.
>>
>> The installation goes very well, I've got all the screens and I choose
>> what to install and what not. Mind you, at this point the server is NOT
>> yet connected to the router (if that makes a different). After the
>> installation has finished it ask to reboot, to which of course I say
>> yes. But the boot hangs, or so it seems.
>>
>> I've got the text output up to the point when it says "Starting udev".
>> with one error maybe. The message "dmi_save_oem_string_devices: out of
>> memory" appears. Then the screen goes black (and actually the monitor's
>> light goes yellow, like there wasn't any signal). Nothing seems to bring
>> it back to live.
>>
>> I've read that maybe I should use Fedora 7 instead of 8. As I said I
>> have been using Fedora 8 on my laptop for some time with no trouble at
>> all. But then again, it's a Pentium Centrino not a Dual Core.
>>

> I'm using a Core Duo on F8 with no problems. Sounds like a hardware or
> BIOS problem with your new machine. Try running a Live CD (Fedora,
> Ubuntu, Knoppix ...) and see what happens.

I've just tried with the Fedora Live CD and the same thing happens. One
thing I noticed is that it does NOT start udev. What I mean is that on
my laptop it says "Starting udev [OK]" before "switching" to the
graphical interface, while on the server it just says "Starting udev"
and then it goes black.

Giulio