OT? port forwarding help

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sat Mar 22 23:46:32 UTC 2008

Dave Stevens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to set up a web server in a place where there are two routers between
> it and by broadband connection. The routers are cheap domestic units and
> different brands and models. I don't understand port forwarding well enough
> to be sure inbound http packets get to the right machines. Can anyone refer
> me to a good tutorial or reference on the topic?

A tutorial, I don't know about (or expect).

The specifics are particular to the vendor; I suggest you do what seems
right and then test via the other internet connexion). If it doesn't
work, read the instructions again. Repeat until done.

_I_ prefer to put these things into bridging mode and then do it
properly in Linux. Google and shorewall can help with that, but the
specifics of how to get the device into bridging more depends.

If these devices were provided by the IAP (and maybe if not), you should
be able to get help there.

--

Cheers
John