PCI VIDEO CAPTURE CARDS for Fedora

Sur surdemir at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 23 14:24:02 UTC 2008

* Daniel B. Thurman wrote, On 03/21/2008 06:08 PM:

> Hi all,
>
> I am wondering if members here would advise on a great
> video capture card one can use for survellance and other
> uses (such as capturing a telescope data for astronomy) that
> supports many cameras in real-time (all/most channels active)
> and also supports remote/local viewing with protocols for
> supporting full tilt/motion/zoom.  As for the camera itself,
> I'd like to have at least one that not only supports full tilt/motion/zoom
> but can also might support 0 lux, color, but perhaps also support
> IR/uV as cheaply as possible?  Yeah, I know it might be
> too expensive for my budget but hey, I'd like to know what
> my options are! ;)
>
> I just happened to find something like:
>
> Lorex 16 Port PCI
> Card Digital Video Recorder - 120 FPS
> Model No: QLR1660

I suppose this is it:
http://dealscctv.lorextechnology.com/product.aspx?id=1756

[...]
> It is also not clear how to 'breakout' the 16-channel inputs
> to support other interfaces supporting other camera devices
> such as camcorders, webcams, VCR, MXC, S-? and so on.

It's explained in the manual at the URI above.
Only PAL/NTSC video is accepted (analog signal).

> and this card is priced near $300.00 at bargain rates, or
> so it seems...

Even at $499, it seems like a good deal to me.

> Also, this card may be obsolete (at least it is no longer in
> the Lorex website) and there is very little information as
> to programming the card for local use (such as motion
> detection, for example) - but this is just one that I found
> at the moment.
>
> Perhaps there are better cards out there?
>
> Does anyone have any advice as to the card/camera that
> would be great for use under Linux/Fedora?

A frame grabber supported under Linux is most probably based on Bt8xx chip.