backup

Tom Holroyd tomh at kurage.nimh.nih.gov
Mon Mar 24 14:44:57 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 17:24 -0400, Tom Holroyd wrote:
> Show of hands: compress backups? Or 1:1 copy.

Summary. More than 2:1 favor 1:1. If you do compress, compressing the
entire backup is bogus, it should be done file by file, and preferably
by the backup device.

The interesting news is backup verification. I typically look at the
file sizes and go, "yeah, it ran." Prob'ly not good enough.

Also, one can argue in favor of FEC for archival storage, so if you lose
a track or set of blocks you can still recover. I backup to RAID.