/dev/dm-x????

Nicholas Robinson npr at bottlehall.co.uk
Mon Mar 24 18:04:17 UTC 2008

On Monday 24 March 2008 08:43:39 François Patte wrote:
> Bonjour,
>
> I have just used the command fidsk -l in order to see what was my
> partitionning system.
>
> I discovered a lot of  /dev/dm-x disks without any "valid partition table"
>
> But, if I mount them (mount /dev/dm-9 /mnt) they are mounted without any
> problems and these discks are only the partitions allready mounted under
> another name (this /dev/dm-9 is /home...)
>
> What does this mean?
>
> I am using lvm
>
> Thanks for lights.
> --
> François Patte
> UFR de mathématiques et informatique
> Université Paris Descartes
> 45, rue des Saints Pères
> F-75270 Paris Cedex 06
> Tél. +33 (0)1 44 55 35 61
> http://www.math-info.univ-paris5.fr/~patte

Bonjour

fdisk works on devices and not partititions. A device is divided into
partitions and each partition (after being made into a filesystem) is what
gets mounted. So what you report is all good: you shouldn't see partitions on
partitions and you should see partitions in the mount table!

I would sign-off in French, but I'd only embarrass myself.

Hope this helps

Nick