Fedora Makes a Terrible Server?

Tim Alberts talberts at msiscales.com
Mon Mar 24 20:37:39 UTC 2008

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 2:55 PM, Tim Alberts <talberts at msiscales.com> wrote:
>
>>  Honestly I feel like a backstabber by using CentOS because I've been
>>  with Fedora since before Fedora (RedHat 5.1 was my first Linux
>>  experience), and using CentOS is reaping the benefits with no contribution.
>>

> You realize that technically speaking Redhat|Centos are infact Fedora,
> albeit mature versions of it.

Of course.  What's your point?

Fedora creates regular scheduled releases of a conglomeration of
selected projects on a regular schedule.
After the Fedora release has been run through the test/release cycle by
the Fedora users (us) it becomes the next version of RedHat (roughly).
Then CentOS takes the source packages of RedHat, puts their name on it
and re-distributes it (legally..).

So all the assembly work is done by Fedora, all the testing is done by
the Fedora users and all  the rewards are taken by people who (only) use
CentOS while at least people who use RedHat pay for support.