Fedora Makes a Terrible Server?

Mike mjwestkamper at weiinc.com
Mon Mar 24 21:09:26 UTC 2008

Valent Turkovic wrote:
> http://www.mjmwired.net/linux/2008/02/11/fedora-makes-a-terrible-server/
>
> What is your experience ?
>
> Cheers,
> Valent.

I have been running a server using Fedora and before that the original
releases of RH. It is now running 8. I made a software RAID of 360GB and
use SAMBA to access it. I have two dozen systems that access it all the
time. Each revision of the OS is loaded with the RAID disconnected. I
update the distribution and connect the RAID. I configure SAMBA, usually
by copying the .conf file. I made a script that copies the user info. To
date I have never had a problem. I just added four 500GB drives in a
software RAID 5, again not a hitch.

I have a RSYNC box that keeps that server backed up. It has been running
Fedora core 2 since it was released. Again no problems.

I do not run anything else on either box and they have no other
peripherals defined, just the disk, LAN and console.

So, I don't have a problem using Fedora as a server.