Fedora 8 won't remember bluetooth mouse, hidd not running by default

Mike Iglesias iglesias at uci.edu
Mon Mar 24 23:23:42 UTC 2008

Adalbert Prokop wrote:
> Mike Iglesias wrote on Monday 24 March 2008:
>
>>> As I wrote: this was NOT possible, because /etc/init.d/hidd does not
>>> exist. "yum whatprovides /etc/init.d/hidd" also did not gave me any
>>> hits.
>
>> Look for /etc/init.d/bluetooth.  The rpm is bluez-utils.
>
> Yes, I have it. And the bluetooth service is started on boot. But it is
> not enough. Without the additional hidd service I have to pair the mouse
> each time I boot, which is really annoying. :)

I asked about this a while back on this list, and used (as root) "hidd
--server --search" to get my bluetooth mouse working the first time.  It looks
like some information was dropped in /var/lib/bluetooth/<mac addr of device>.
  I seem to remember that the next time it booted I got a popup from the
bluetooth monitor (in the upper tray on the right with the bluetooth symbol)
about the mouse, and I clicked "ok" or something like that.  Since then it has
just worked for me.

Go to System -> Preferences -> Personal -> Sessions and see if the Bluetooth
Manager is enabled when you log in (assuming you're using gnome, I don't know
what KDE does).

Mike Iglesias                          Email:       iglesias at uci.edu
University of California, Irvine       phone:       949-824-6926
Network & Academic Computing Services  FAX:         949-824-2270