Linux group question

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 01:55:38 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 19:06 -0600, kevin kempter wrote:
> On Mar 24, 2008, at 5:23 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
> > Please don't hijack existing threads to talk about unrelated topics.
> > This question should be a new thread.
> >
> > On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 17:14 -0600, kevin kempter wrote:
> >> Hi List;
> >>
> >> I have 2 users which both have need to access various database
> >> related
> >> files.I've created a new group called 'dba'. Most of the time I want
> >> the users to create files with their default user:group perms,
> >> however
> >> when I'm working on these sql / db files I want the files to be
> >> created with the default user as the owner but dba as the group.
> >
> > The standard way of doing this is for the DB software to run setgid as
> > the dba group. Since you don't say what the DB software is, it's
> > hard to
> > say if that's appropriate in your case.
> >
> > poc
> >

> Thanks for the info.
>
> FYI - I did not hijack a thread - I started this thread.

No, you did hijack the thread. Simply changing the Subject line is not
enough to start a new thread. Threading is determined by the In-Reply-To
mail header, so any reply to a list message is regarded as part of the
same thread, even if the Subject is completely different.

Take a look at the list archive at
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2008-March/thread.html and
search for your original message. You'll see it's nested within the
conversation about "Fedora 8 won't remember bluetooth mouse, hidd not
running by default", meaning you created it by replying to one of those
messages instead of by creating a new one. That's what hijacking means,
and people object to it precisely because it screws up the layout of
conversations (threads) in many mail clients.

poc