/etc/resolv.conf changes

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Mar 25 07:40:59 UTC 2008

vincenzo romero wrote:
> thank you for the responses ... and Matthew I think it is getting
> clearer now .... however you mention:
>
>> you
>>  probably have installed a caching nameserver.
>
> i used the Bind Configuration tool; initially when it generates the
> DNS records files, the configuration is caching nameserver;  however,
> when I imported my hosts file, it automatically also created addition
> zones which includes my domain - lab.mycompany.com.  I checked my
> /etc/named.conf configuration against a sample configuration URL and
> compared a "caching" vs "standard DNS" and it seems like I have the
> standard DNS configured ...

So far as I can tell, and Ive been using RHL and its successors since
RHL 3.0.3, "caching nameserver" is a term invented by RH.

Whatever, it describes a name server that is authoritative for no zones.
Generally speaking, every DNS caches. _My_ DSNs are responsible for some
domains such as office.lan, demo.roon and so on, may refer to other
nameservers I maintain and either refer to my IAP's DNS for public
Internet details or go directly to the root servers.

/etc/resolv.conf can by maintained by DHCP client software where
computers are connected to a LAN running a DCP server (including ADSL
and cable routers), by PPP client software, and by user configuration
tools (including vim) where DHCP and PPP are not used.

> can someone pls confirm that the info I am following is correct?
> (source: http://www.linux-sxs.org/internet_serving/dns.html#common)

For documentation, read the ISC stuff. Other stuff if you need, but
always read the ISC documentation. It's complete an accurate, but
tageted at professionals, Also, read the RHEL documentation - it's
probably less complete, but a good start and consistent with the
RH/Fedora implementations.

--

Cheers
John