Package updater

ramachandranc1 at aim.com ramachandranc1 at aim.com
Tue Mar 25 10:03:51 UTC 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan at gmail.com>
To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 7:37 am
Subject: Re: Package updater

2008/3/25  <ramachandranc1 at aim.com>:

>  When you apply updates,it takes lot of time (may be due my slow internet)
> to resolve the dependencies.
>  At the end of the day, you get a message that a prticular software is not
> available.
>  1. (Excuse me for my ignorance) Is it not possible to know which one is not
> available even before you start the operation?

How? Updates to the dependancy database have to be downloaded and the
whole thing has to be analyzed.

>  2. Is it not possible to update the packages which has all the components,
> and leave out the ones which has deficiency of soft ware?

If you use yum, there's a plugin called "skip-broken" which might be
what you want. After installing it, use "yum --skip-broken update".
poc
"skip-broken" is not available.
here is the list:
Usage: yum [options] < grouplist, localinstall, groupinfo, localupdate, resolvedep, erase, deplist, groupremove, makecache, upgrade, provides, shell, install, whatprovides, groupinstall, update, repolist, groupupdate, info, search, check-update, list, remove, clean, grouperase >

Command line error: no such option: --skip-broken
[root at ramachandran ~]# yum --skip-broken update
Usage: yum [options] < grouplist, localinstall, groupinfo, localupdate, resolvedep, erase, deplist, groupremove, makecache, upgrade, provides, shell, install, whatprovides, groupinstall, update, repolist, groupupdate, info, search, check-update, list, remove, clean, grouperase >

  -h, --help            show this help message and exit
  -t, --tolerant        be tolerant of errors
  -C                    run entirely from cache, don't update cache
  -c  [config file]     config file location
  -R  [minutes]         maximum command wait time
  -d  [debug level]     debugging output level
  -e  [error level]     error output level
  -q, --quiet           quiet operation
  -v, --verbose         verbose operation
  -y                    answer yes for all questions
  --version             show Yum version and exit
  --installroot=[path]  set install root
  --enablerepo=[repo]   enable one or more repositories (wildcards allowed)
  --disablerepo=[repo]  disable one or more repositories (wildcards allowed)
  -x [package], --exclude=[package]
                        exclude package(s) by name or glob
  --disableexcludes=[repo]
                        disable exclude from main, for a repo or for
                        everything
  --obsoletes           enable obsoletes processing during updates
  --noplugins           disable Yum plugins
  --nogpgcheck          disable gpg signature checking
  --disableplugin=[plugin]
                        disable plugins by name