Fedora Makes a Terrible Server?

David G. Mackay mackay_d at bellsouth.net
Tue Mar 25 14:03:33 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 20:51 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:

> There's losing and there's really losing. If Fedora won't boot, you have
> the services of neither until it's fixed.
>
> A little shore of Best Practice.

I don't think that anyone was talking about HA-Linux and redundant power
supplies here, John.  It's fairly trivial to set up a separate partition
with a fallback OS.  I routinely do this with Fedora on one of my
machines, and then rotate versions of Fedora between the two partitions
as the releases become available.  If an update makes the newer version
unbootable (extremely rare that you can't just use grub to boot the
previous kernel), then there's always the old version to boot into.

Having a VM running a server in this environment may not be the absolute
best practice, but it's certainly feasible.

Dave