Raid Card controller for FC System

Thomas Kappelmueller tkappelmueller at thomas-krenn.com
Tue Mar 25 14:43:34 UTC 2008

edwardspl at ita.org.mo wrote:
> Thomas Kappelmueller wrote:
>
>> Todd Denniston wrote:

>>> So would the better question be:
>>> Which model / type of ATA multi-port card controller is good when you
>>> want to do software RAID with New Fedora System?
>>> i.e. which manufactures cards that you can hang 4+ drives off of,
>>> have enough independence[1] between drives, that doing software RAID
>>> works fast[2]?
>>> Can you get 4+ port SATA cards that don't claim to be "RAID" cards?
>>>
>>> Or has everything already been said here:
>>> http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html
>>> http://linux-ata.org/faq-sata-raid.html
>>>
>>> [1] I am making the old assumption that ATA drives on the same bus
>>> slow each other down. Does that really matter with SATA?
>>>
>>> [2] assuming the controller card is more likely to be the bottleneck
>>> than the processor, PCI bus, or drives.
>>>
>> Hi!
>> http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html#matrix
>> I would buy a card which drivers have the most features.
>>
>> I chose a cheap "Silicon Image"-chipped sata1 card (sata_sil driver).
>> Hotplugging etc is working fine.
>>

>> The sata_sil24 is the SATA2 chip.
>>
>> -Tom
>>
> Hello,
>
> Would you mind tell me your web site of your card model ?
>
> Thank for your comment!
>
> Edward.

hi!
http://www.st-lab.com/productf.asp
It is the one with 4 Ports. It cost me something like 20£á/25$

Btw I use Linux Software-Raid on it.
If you can't get that card just search google for something like
"SiI3114 controller card".

The newer chips are called Sil3124 and i think there are also some with
8 Ports but I'm not sure.

Hope that helps
-Tom