Fedora Makes a Terrible Server?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 14:51:38 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy wrote:

>> Being on the leading edge mitigates seriously against reliability.
>
> I find the boast/warning that Fedora is "bleeding edge" slightly absurd.
>
> In my (probably limited) experience, it is neither more nor less reliable
> than other distributions.

Then perhaps you should listen to those with more experience.

> I haven't noticed any difference between CentOS and Fedora-8,
> which I'm running on my other machines.
> In fact, I don't know which I am on (when accessing remotely)
> except by looking at the name.

Based on past experience, you could expect the CentOS box to keep
running with nothing but occasional 'yum update's for 6 more years. Even
if F8 updates don't actually break your working system (which is likely
to depend on your specific hardware) in less than a year you'll stop
getting updates and as soon as a new security issue is discovered you'll
be forced to re-install some wildly different version.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com