What's all the hype over Ubuntu?

Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo rodolfo.alcazar at padep.org.bo
Tue Mar 25 20:56:19 UTC 2008

Am Dienstag, den 25.03.2008, 16:18 -0400 schrieb Arch Willingham:
> ... I have never seen any other version of Linux running except
> Fedora. What’s all the hype around Ubuntu? I realize I could download
> an install a copy but I never really saw any reason to since FCx seems
> to work great.

My 2 cents, from my little experience:

Ubuntu was a great choice in its moment. Simplified the debian
philosophy, allowed any newbie to install and listen mp3, view movies,
i.e. start working and enjoying. Fedora, Suse, Mandrake, etc, needed
some workarounds and bash-ing for many things to start working. Was very
stable and had almost no bugs. Had a lot of publicity, Ubuntu is
supported by a wealthy sponsor. Nowadays, keeps its goodness, although
the rest of distros had learn a lot from Ubuntu. Fedora, I suppose,
learned good lessons from Ubuntu (example: Fedora Live) in order to keep
its market place.

Cheers!

Rodolfo Alcazar - rodolfo.alcazar at padep.org.bo
otbits.blogspot.com / counter.li.org: #367962
"Mein Homer ist kein Kommunist. Er ist vielleicht ein Lügner, ein
Schwein, ein Idiot und ein Kommunist, aber er ist ganz sicherlich kein
Porno-Star!"
- Abraham Simpson