What's all the hype over Ubuntu?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Mar 25 22:07:04 UTC 2008

Arch Willingham wrote:
> I first started dabbling with Linux about three years ago. The way I
> ended up using Fedora was it was the first link I clicked on that worked
> (I think it was FC3). Since that time, I have around fifteen machines
> running it. All of them run FC8 except my laptop which, as of yesterday,
> is running the beta of FC9.
>

> With that said, I have never seen any other version of Linux running
> except Fedora. What’s all the hype around Ubuntu? I realize I could
> download an install a copy but I never really saw any reason to since
> FCx seems to work great.
>

> I’m not trying to start a battle of which is better…just trying to get
> an idea of why its seems so popular.

For the average person it works without spending forever on lists,
repositories, etc. It will install codecs you need without chastising
you with warnings that the codec are illegal and can't be shipped,
drivers for common hardware, etc.

Fedora is "pure" of code with questionable provenance or license, and is
the ideal distribution for lawyers. It works well on servers, and gives
you a change to learn how to get the RPMs you need to do desktop
operations from alternate repositories.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>