Fedora Makes a Terrible Server?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Mar 26 00:04:56 UTC 2008

max bianco wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 2:31 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> max bianco wrote:
>>>
>>> am I the only person that voluntarily uses Fedora? I have only been
>>> using it a short time  but i understood it was a moving target when i
>>> signed on.  This thread reminds me of KL. It wasn't that long ago so i
>>> am sure most of you remember to whom i am referring.
>>> Fedora is what it is and some have more experience than others. Is there
>>> some other lesson to take away from this thread?
>> Fedora tries to stay very close to current software development.  That
>> means you get the new features as well as the new bugs.  On a desktop or
>> as a second, non-critical machine that is a reasonable tradeoff,
>> especially if you use the applications where the new features matter.
>> This thread is mostly about servers where downtime is to be avoided at
>> (almost) any cost and you want things to keep working for years.  It
>> isn't about fedora being inherently bad, it just isn't suitable for some
>> uses.
>>

> I know it isn't suitable for some uses. I tried to learn what  I could
> about  Fedora before I actually installed it on my machine.  It seems
> however  that  some people have unrealistic expectations.   The  bleeding
> edge and stable are not  words  i would expect to  fit into the  same
> sentence under any circumstances. Having said that it has been very stable

but you just did:-)

> for me, and by stable i mean that it has never failed to boot, have i had
> issues? Sure but the basic functionality has always been there for me. Maybe
> some features break from time to time but i have always been able to access
> the web to solve my problems, would i use it for a server? maybe but I'd not
> have much room to complain if I tried to ride the bleeding edge and fell off
> the cliff because of it.

You seem to have a fair appreciation of the key points. Unfortunately, a
lot of folk get "Fedora Unleashed" - often for an old or even obsolete
release - and have at it without understanding those key points. The
author of the original article seems to have been one such.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait