Fedora Makes a Terrible Server?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 04:14:41 UTC 2008

David G. Mackay wrote:

>>> Fedora seems to be getting away from this, but one of the selling points
>>> for Slackware used to be that you could take some of the older hardware
>>> that wouldn't be able to handle the latest Microsoft OS, and still do
>>> useful things with it under Linux.
>> Centos 3.x is still a moderately good choice for this.  In fedora terms
>> it would be very, very similar to FC1 (2.4 kernel, etc.) but still
>> getting updates.
>
> I was thinking of updating my firewall/router box to Centos 4.6.  Do you
> have any thoughts/warnings on this?

It will work, but I don't see any compelling reason to choose it now.
5.x is newer/better and still old enough not to expect any surprises.
3.x is smaller, less bloated but still supported with updates.  If you
run any other services on your gateway box (mail/web/ftp/file shares,
etc.) you might like SME server (http://www.contribs.org), though.  I
think it is still based on Centos 4.x code - but managed with a simple
web interface.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com