Problem trying to setup Drupal on Fedora 8

Dave Roberts ldave at droberts.com
Wed Mar 26 07:16:06 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 22:10 -0700, Dave Roberts wrote:
> Okay, so I'm trying to setup Drupal on Fedora 8, using the standard RPMs
> for everything, all installed using Yum.
>
> I think I have all the RPMs installed fine. I'm following
> the /usr/share/doc/drupal5.7/drupal-README.fedora file
> and /usr/share/doc/drupal-5.7/INSTALL.txt file. I'm at Step 3 in
> INSTALL.txt, where it says to run the install script. I have gotten
> Apache setup correctly, and when I access the http://localhost/drupal/
> URL, I get a page that contains the Drupal icon and artwork with the
> following Drupal error message:
> "The Drupal installer requires write permissions
> to ./sites/default/settings.php during the installation process."

Looks like SELinux was hosing me. If anybody else runs into this error
down the road, go to the SELinux Administration applet (Applications ->
System Tools -> SELinux Management) and set the enforcing mode
appropriately. Looks like Drupal only needs this file to be writable for
a short time anyway, so I think you can return enforcing mode to
Enforcing as soon as you're done with your Drupal configuration.

-- Dave