What linux lacks most - a decent remote fs

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 14:58:50 UTC 2008

Tom Horsley wrote:

>> Mmm... I dream of an easy-to-use remote fs with automagical local caching...
>
> I dream of one that actually functions reliably. I can't believe
> how widely used NFS is, because it is the source of endless problems
> for me. I've never seen it work with any kind of reliability at all.

What kind of problems do you see? It can be hard to get firewall
openings right and it depends on uid's matching at the client and server
for file ownership and permissions, but those things either work right
or not at all.  You shouldn't see reliability or performance problems
unless you have hundreds of busy clients.

> One thing I'll say for samba is that the data actually seems to show
> up correctly on the other side :-).

Maybe you have serious network problems that tcp retries cover up
better.  But current nfs versions should default to tcp too.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com