What linux lacks most - a decent remote fs

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 17:12:23 UTC 2008

Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 11:18:48 -0500
> Roger Heflin <rogerheflin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You don't happen to be writing a given file from 2 different machines do you?
>> ie odd blocks from one machine, even from the other?
>
> Nope, nothing fancy going on, just trying to mount and use filesystems
> in an ordinary fashion, and never having much luck.
>
> Not that it always corrupts the data on writes, just often enough to
> be a pain :-).

I have seen network card issues that corrupted network packets, and if you were
using UDP (no checksums) and had some bad network hardware things could get
ugly, I believe the case I saw they were using TCP, and I have to believe that
the network driver was having issues and the actual checksums weren't getting
done, and there was corruption on the network itself.   I was able to change the
behavior by turning off Tcp checksum offload, but there were still issues, and
given my previous experience finding a bug in the offload firmware, I could
believe there were more bugs in it under the correct conditions.

You might check your network stats and see if you are having lots of bad packets
around.

                            Roger