[OT] Determining Video Formats

Paul Lemmons paul.lemmons at tmcaz.com
Wed Mar 26 23:16:04 UTC 2008

I am looking for a way to look at an AVI file and see how it was encoded
with enough detail that I could reproduce the process using transcode or
mencoder. I have a media server (D-Link DSM520) that plays most videos
absolutely perfectly. Some, though, it has trouble keeping audio sync. I
would like to compare the videos that work without issue to those that
have issues to see if I can identify what the differentiator might be. I
should then be able to identify those with problems and re-transcode
them to look like the files without the problem. That is the goal, anyway.

I suspect this is real easy but I am just not finding it and I am
completely Googled out. Any pointers in the right direction would be
much appreciated!