What linux lacks most - a decent remote fs

Ian Chapman packages at amiga-hardware.com
Thu Mar 27 00:36:09 UTC 2008

Bob Kinney wrote:

> (Sorry about the incomplete prior post--stupid yahoo mail)
>
> I thought that hard NFS mounts were a thing of the past--like the mid '90s.
> Isn't it preferred to set them up with an automounter to prevent panic
> when communication falters?

No in this case hard mounts are when file IO operations are essentially
blocked if the mounted NFS filesystem does a vanishing trick. The idea
being that when connectivity is returned, the pending operations
continue and the process is none the wiser. Conversely soft mounts chuck
back IO errors to the process which aren't always handled as gracefully
as perhaps they should be. Sure automounter can reduce the chances of a
stale or blocked NFS mount as the filesystem isn't always mounted but
they can occur.

--
Ian Chapman.