yum freezes on an NFS mount

Laurent Vaills laurent.vaills at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 08:28:43 UTC 2008

Hi.

On my Fedora box I have defined some NFS mount points like this in my
/etc/fstab :
<hostname>:/path/to/exported/dir /nfs/mount-point   nfs   user,hard,intr 0 0

But sometimes the machine <hostname> is not powered up.
When I run "yum -y upgrade" it freezes on "Running transaction test" .
So I decided to strace it and I saw it stops at stat64("/nfs/mount-point",

My first question is :
- Why yum/rpm has to go in that directory ?
- What are the correct options to put in the fstab in order not to have any
process frozen when they try access an NFS directory that does not respond ?

Regards,
Laurent