"??" file in home dir.

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 15:16:17 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 9:51 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:
>  As I said in my original reply several days ago, you can use "rm
>  -i" (specifically "rm -i *"). The -i means "interactive". It walks you
>  through every file in the directory asking if you want to remove it. To
>  be used with great care of course ...
>
>  I'm amazed no-one else brought this up. The -i option to rm has been
>  around for at least 20 years. Maybe only us oldies remember it (using
>  Unix since 1974 :-)

Since we all have to remove the dumb aliases for root on every install
how could we forget it? :)

The original question wasn't how to remove it so that might explain it
too. Eventually I expect it would get to that, but figuring out what
the file was, what it contained, how it got there, etc. seem to be
things I'd be interested in doing before I removed it.

John