What's all the hype over Ubuntu?

vincenzo romero new2xen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 22:06:59 UTC 2008

Great thread ...

Quick question - for those of you who deployed Ubuntu for your home -
( i have played with it at work, indeed like a toy) ... does it have
availability of most applications that teenagers would like?  ....
itunes support?  etc....

My son's Apple G4 is a victim of logic board issues and soldering bad
design - I want to just suck the info out into our NAS drive and just
get a cheap laptop - wondering what linux version would be a good one
to deploy for home use ..

any thoughts esp vis a vis mp3 support would be greatly appreciated ..

- V

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Tom Horsley <tom.horsley at att.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 12:05:24 -0500
>  Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:
>
>  > > It seems surprising to me in this age of code-sharing that anyone still
>  > > has to work tirelessly to re-invent a web server that provides the same
>  > > services as a million other web servers.  Isn't there something that is
>  > > reusable and would work for any project?
>  >
>  > fwiw, the code of which I speak will be reusable (and opensource) TurboGears
>  > widgets.
>
>  Hey, sendmail is open source, but that doesn't mean you don't have to
>  work tirelessly to get it setup and working :-).
>

>  --

best,

Vince