mount.cifs Example please?

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Thu Mar 27 23:17:54 UTC 2008

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Sean Bruno wrote:

>>> I see.  Well, if the maintainer of the man page reads this list he
>>> may add to it.  Then again, he may wonder why doing a google on
>>> "mount cifs examples" wouldn't have also helped.
>>>
>> The google search you suggest is exactly what I did to find my answer.
>> I don't really think that is my point, but I do understand that I did
>> find my answer so, "What am I complaining about?"
>>
>> IMO, something like what I am suggesting is exactly the purpose of a man
>> page.  Namely, its a reference for folks to remind them of the syntax
>> and options of a command.
>> Is what I am proposing just a bit too specific for a man page EXAMPLES
>> section?  If so, I'm willing to just drop it.
>
> I think it is a fine idea to contact the man page maintainer and make
> the suggestion/request.  Just want to make sure that you know he may not
> be reading this list.  Also, cause I've been there done that, you need
> to be prepared for the maintainer contending that this:
>
> mount.cifs {service} {mount-point} [-ooptions]
>
> in the man page is sufficient and a google would return more examples
> than he could supply in the man page anyway.  Maintainers can have their
> own ideas and can be a bit stubborn at times.  :-)

The form of the verb varies with the subject, Ed.

"I am firm.  You are stubborn.  He is pig-headed."

:-)
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                       rps2 at nerd.com -
- Hosting Consulting, Inc.                                           -
-        "More hay, Trigger?" "No thanks, Roy, I'm stuffed!"         -