What's all the hype over Ubuntu?

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Fri Mar 28 00:07:04 UTC 2008

Tom Horsley wrote:

> Naturally, I turned to google, and all the top hits I
> got were (mostly pretty informative) pages from
> either ubuntu or gentoo web sites.
>
> I have had this same experience on different searches
> many times before.
>
> I can imagine folks who constantly find descriptions
> of how to solve their problems on ubuntu web pages
> might at some point be tempted to just go ahead and
> run ubuntu so they don't have to track down any
> differences between the distros in order to follow the
> advice.
>
> Of course they might get the same idea about gentoo,
> but comparing the install process of gentoo and ubuntu
> would send most folks screaming to ubuntu every time :-).

Bit of Devil's Advocate here....

If the answers to the problems are found on ubuntu web pages doesn't that
mean the problems also exist in ubuntu?  If ubuntu handled the problem
directly then there would be no point in asking how to do it...  :-)

Do the results/resolution to the problem translate to other distros or are
they specific to ubuntu?

FWIW, I have ubuntu installed on a VM and do play with it from time to time.
  Probably need more time to learn its quarks.  But the one thing I noticed
is that the folks on their mailing lists, IMHO, tend to be greener than
average and the amount of bad advice or misinformation is greater than other
lists that have insufferable geeks.  :-)

--
Proper treatment will cure a cold in seven days, but left to itself,
a cold will hang on for a week.