Where's the bluetooth jargon demystifier?

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Fri Mar 28 23:32:26 UTC 2008

> > I go to the official bluez-utils web site and their documentation page
> > basically says "You don't want to look at our docs, they suck.".
> >
> > I go to the official bluetooth web site and their documentation either
> > tells me why I ought to be making bluetooth devices or talks about
> > radio spectrum and communications layers.
> >
> > Where is the web page that explains to a human what the gibberish
> > in the hcid.conf man page actually means?
> >
> > All I'm trying to do is arrange for my bluetooth keyboard (which definitely
> > works with manual poking and prodding) to work automatically once
> > my fedora 8 system has booted. Seems like it ought to be a simple task :-).
> >
> I have given up on BT for the moment. Under Windows there's a utility
> which shows the mouse, the keyboard, the printer, and all the nearby
> cell phones. Under Linux there's an icon which you can click (using a
> PS2 mouse) which does nada. And after downloading all the bluez stuff
> without reading the documentation (there is none on using the software,
> as you note), no amount of clicking, typing, or swearing made anything
> happen.

I've had similar experiences. I'm actually running OpenSuse 10.3 on my
laptop now. I'm running gnome but I have to run kbluetooth to get the
mouse to work. Couldn't get gnome to see it at all. Even with
kbluetooth, the mouse quits after a certain amount of inactivity.
Haven't figured out how much though. When this happens I have to
manually make kbluetooth reconnect. Very frustrating.

Same mouse and same laptop running Vista I never had these issues. It
was found easily and never disconnected.

James