NetworkManager Is Driving Me Crazy!

Rick Bilonick rab at nauticom.net
Sun Mar 30 05:58:20 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 22:40 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Rick Bilonick wrote:
>

> > This all misses the point. I've turned NM off and killed everything I
> > can think of yet wlan0 keeps getting activated. How do I stop it from
> > screwing up my static network connection?
>
> If that happened to me I would first look in /etc/modprobe.conf
> to see if wlan0 is mentioned,
> then in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
> and delete the line if mentioned there.
> Then I'd delete /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 -
> well, actually I always save back versions of ifcfg-<if>.
>

> --
> Timothy Murphy
> e-mail (<80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
> tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Given the trouble I initially had in getting Fedora 8 working with my
wireless card (using ndiswrapper - no native driver worked), I would be
afraid to delete any of these files. What I'm doing is a bit of pain to
connect to wired and wireless networks but at least it consistently
works. I guess I will have to wait until NetworkManager is improved to
handle wired networks with fixed IP's. No other wireless program works
(they either just never connect to ANY network or are incompatible with
SELinux - like wicd and wireless assistant).

Rick B.