Confessions of a secret NM user

Aaron Konstam akonstam at
Sun Mar 30 21:43:24 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 18:20 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
> >> Is anyone successfully using the network service + system-config-network
> >> with Fedora-8 (updated)?
> >>
> >> To be more precise, has anyone found themselves NOT connected with WiFi,
> >> and found the problem solved by running system-config-network?
> >
> > Yes.  Easily 95% of my systems are hard-wired and use system-config-
> > network (well, make that "service network start").  They're all using
> > fixed IPs, though.
> I don't think "service network restart" and "system-config-network"
> are by any means equivalent.
> In my experience, one may well work when the other doesn't.
> It's a complete gamble, in my experience.
These two things are somewhat unrelated. service network restart
starts the network service which in general should not be running if is
NM is running.

system-config-network is a program to configure network files and
activate them.

Get in touch with your feelings of hostility against the dying light. --
Dylan Thomas [paraphrased periphrastically]
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at