FC8, Kernel and NetworkManager

Antti Aspinen antti.aspinen at phnet.fi
Thu May 1 12:14:08 UTC 2008

Hello!

My first post for many years on this list but I have 'a problem' now and
I am sure there might be other people which are affected by it.

When I installed Fedora 8 on my computer it worked 'mostly' like it is
supposed to work and everything was fine. But after laying updates with
pup my problems started. Everytime I started my computer with the new
kernel it made make system totally hang in the end of the booting
process. Just before the GDM login screen. My guess was that some
service is causing kernel-panic on my system.

What I did in the situation was that I took a look into booting process
and noticed that NetworkManager is the cause. So I went with interactive
boot and didn't start the NetworkManager and I actually disabled it from
system-config-services.

I am now starting my network manually using system-config-network and I
have an internet access. But that is not the way it's supposed to work
and I have pretty much tried to find a 'better way' with Google but
there ain't much to say about results.

My PC is based on Asus V8A Deluxe motherboard and it comes with built-in
RaLink WiFi (RT2500 driver) and Marvell (skge driver) based built-in
network card. And please note that NetworkManager did work before laying
updates.

Problem is somewhere between Linux-kernel and NetworkManager. I'd start
with NetworkManager since kernel side of things work when NetworkManager
is not running.
Fix it please. -_____-

Lastest Fedora 8 linux-kernel upgrade broke DigiTv on Fedora. (I have
Nebula's PCI DigitalTelevision card. It's using bt8xx drivers which
modprobe fails to find during boot now.)

Oh, What's wrong with the Udev. Sometimes initing Udev takes freaking
forever, I hate to wait for it like 5 minutes or _more_ sometimes.
Sometimes it starts up with the speed of thunder just under 5 seconds.
In other distriputions such as Debian initing Udev takes 1 second, and
same is with Gentoo and OpenSuse, among others... :-?

So far Fedora 8 has been nice distro and all. And I'm waiting Fedora 9
to improve things I didn't like. Like PulseAudio and NetworkManager.
Those are too much Ubuntu for me. And I don't like Ubuntu. Fedora 8 in
generally seems to be or is at least pretending to be that 'better
ubuntu than ubuntu itself'. ;)

By the way I'd love to see lots of fixes on PulseAudio side of things.
PA is nice invention althought it's not really a sollution for every
audio problem linux has.

But back to the issues, like proper testing of updates. Before making
them go wild heavy testing might be good idea generally. This is the
thing where Fedora should improve _a lot_. Ubuntu guys at Canonical had
similar problems but they came over those with update importance system
they developed (stole from Debian community. :D ).
More critical updates get better tested and updates to critical things
like kernel won't be released unless certain amount of heavy testing has
been committed on it. I would really hate to wake up the next day to see
that kernel upgrade I last night installed has yet broken new things in
my system. -______-

Have a nice day!

--
Antti Aspinen <antti.aspinen at phnet.fi>