FC6-FC8 upgrade and MYSQL file conflicts

Gordon Hay gordon at haywired.org
Mon May 5 18:12:25 UTC 2008

I upgraded my FC6 system to FC8, and this appeared to be fine.  The
subsequent "yum update" produced a number of messages like this...

        file /usr/bin/msql2mysql from install of
        mysql-5.0.45-6.fc8.x86_64 conflicts with file from package
        mysql-5.0.27-1.fc6.i386

Apparently there are conflicts between the FC8 64-bit packages and the
FC6 32-bit packages.

How can I get past this?  I'm reluctant to "yum remove" then "yum
install" in case my databases get lost in the process...

Any help will be welcome!