Slightly OT: FC9 i386 cd's

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu May 15 22:26:01 UTC 2008

max bianco wrote:
> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 3:57 PM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 May 2008 15:49:17 -0400, max bianco wrote:
>>
>>  > 2008/5/12 David Hunter <davehoz at gmail.com>:
>>  > > Ops my bad - Australia - i don't have a DVD burner, but have a cd burner.
>>  > > Are CD-R's ok? I'm in Sydney. did you want the Source isos or the actual
>>  > > install iso CD's ?
>>  > >
>>  > >
>>  > Actually I would prefer my own account on your PC so I can connect
>>  > directly to you and make sure you aren't modifying the iso before it
>>  > gets burnt to disk. Its not that I don't trust you, its just well, i
>>  > don't trust you. Out of curiosity, exactly how much will a set of
>>  > iso's cost me? and does that include shipping?
>>
>>  You can verify correctly burnt CDs/DVDs with the SHA1 checksums found
>>  in the official Fedora release SHA1SUM file. Just read out the images
>>  with your favourite tool (readcd or dd for example).
>>
> Yes I could do that but seeing if I can get an account on his computer
> would be more fun, not that I think it likely at this point but you
> never know , there is some irony i think in selling fedora cd's on the
> fedora list but maybe I am the only one that can see the humor in
> this: ) especially when I just read another thread with instructions
> on downloading and installing without the need for an actual cd or dvd
> disc.

Probably more people providing DVD than CD these days, the CDs are
useful in older computers. I just order a few more little USB adapters
for 2.5 in drives to do laptop installs on machine which are too small
to install otherwise.

The CDs are a bunch of work, are almost as expensive as DVD blanks, and
you wind up burning five instead of one. If I were selling I think about
$12/set would come close to the actual cost plus minimum wage on the
labor. But CheapBytes.Com doesn't have the CDs listed, so there will be
a market. They get $6/DVD.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>