cannot set background to new image (Gnome on F9)

Sjoerd Mullender sjoerd at acm.org
Sat May 17 20:09:01 UTC 2008

On F8 I used the package wp_tray (wallpaper tray) to change my
background at fixed intervals, but on F9 that doesn't work anymore.
What's more, I also can't change the background image using the System
-> Preferences -> Look and Feel -> Appearance dialog, and also not using
the command line

gconftool-2 -t string -s /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename
/path/to/image.jpg

all of which used to work.

When I log in again (i.e. restart of X server and of the Gnome
environment) the last image that was set as background appears as the
new background.

Has anybody else seen this?

Even though I usually use the proprietary nVidia driver (172.08 Beta),
it also doesn't work with the open source nv driver, so it's not that.

--
Sjoerd Mullender