FC9 boot hangs with encrypted filesystems

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon May 19 15:56:45 UTC 2008

I put an encrypted f/s on an FC9 install, and the boot hung waiting for
the password. Not good, so I marked it "noauto" in fstab, but it still
hung. So I put it in automount and not in fstab and it still hangs, and
I finally took it out of everywhere and the boot process can still see it.

I want the system to boot without the filesystem, and mount it only on
demand, but by simply existing it seems to be found and validated at
boot time. Can someone tell me where the boot process is finding the
f/s? It's not used for normal operations, only for special operations by
people with the password.

Is there a way to keep the boot from asking about it until used?

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>