akmod? What memo did I miss?

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Wed May 21 16:11:15 UTC 2008

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> I believe its the "actual" kmod package.  It gets dragged in if you
> install the kmod package, which is now a "generic" package.

I don't believe that to be the case.  I installed madwifi from livna.
yum's dep solver picked the akmod by default, but if I specifically
requested the kmod, the akmod was not installed.  Yum should install one
or the other, but not both.

> The akmod is what gets built every time you install a new kernel and
> need new builds of your modules for it.  No longer is there a need to
> download a new pre-built kmod package, now, it just re-builds your
> modules for you.

That's so.  The kmod package contains a binary driver for a specific
kernel.  The akmod package contains the source and scripts required to
build a new driver for any kernel that you install.

I don't know what "akmod" means, or where it's documented, or why it
might be better than dkms.  If anyone else does, I'd like to know. :)