F7 -> F9 preupgrade problems. Can't start X [SOLVED]

Steve zephod at cfl.rr.com
Thu May 22 13:19:55 UTC 2008

---- Christian Iseli <Christian.Iseli at unil.ch> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 May 2008 14:27:46 -0400, Steve wrote:
> > Does anybody see anything wrong with this?
>
> Two things I'd try:
> - run system-config-display, then init 5 to see if this works

# system-config-display
Couldn't start X server on card 0
Couldn't start X server with old config, trying with with a fresh configuration
WIndow manager warning: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on display ':17.0'

X then started and ran the system-config-display gui. When it finished I ran startx and everything appears OK now.

Display :17.0??? Where did that come from. There is only one display and I thought that defaulted to :0.0

I checked my xorg.conf file to see what had changed and the only significant thing was the the driver had changed from "i810" to "intel". (A mode line was also added to the SubSection "Display".) Does this indicate a problem with the i810 driver or perhaps a problem with preupgrade because it did not pick the correct driver?

Anyhow,
Thanks Christian