Fedora 9 disk full problem

stan goedigi89__e at cox.net
Sat May 24 21:12:56 UTC 2008

f f wrote:
> It happened today, I was writing some code from Gnome and suddenly I couldn't save.
> I installed Fedora on a ide 40gb hdd so it couldn't be full...
> du said I have ~30gb in /var/log/httpd. now that was could have been some log file... the problem is that i only installed the system yesterday and just started apache for like 2-3 hours. anyway
> i deleted the logs and rebooted
>
> all ok for 1-2 hours, now again disk full, but du says its ok
>
> any ideeas?

Several.

Use df instead of du.  That will tell you how much free space on all
mounted partitions.

Install iotop and leave it running in a window.  Run top in another
window.  See which process is doing all the writing.  This probably only
works after you have cleaned up and restart.

Run dmesg to see if there are any messages in the logs complaining about
this.

If that doesn't pinpoint it, you'll probably have to provide more
information.