F9 network configuration bug? -- SOLVED

David Mozurkewich mozurk at bellatlantic.net
Thu May 29 12:43:23 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 04:12 +0000, Amadeus W.M. wrote:
> On Tue, 27 May 2008 16:03:05 -0400, David Mozurkewich wrote:
>
> > I just added a second computer behind my netgear WGR614v4 router.  I
> > installed Fedora 9.  My last install was FC5 so there is much in F9 that
> > is unfamiliar to me.  To avoid introducing errors, I used all the
> > defaults during the installation except disk partitions.  After the
> > reboot, ifconfig shows eth0 active with the correct IP address
> >
> > I am probably making a simple mistake but cannot see it.  Any
> > help/suggestions would be appreciated,
>
> Can your other machines go out?

yes.   Swapping wires to and ports on the router as well as removing the
other computers from the network didn't help either.

> What happens if you turn off the firewall on the new one?

No effect.

> What happens if you configure the network manually (system-config-network)
> and turn off NM?

The problem remains.

> Do you have to do something in the router to make it forward the
>  incoming packets to your pc? Normally you shouldn't have to.

I thought so too.  I didn't even consider it as a possibility...

> You can try to look at the packets with wireshark and see if you can
> figure out what it's waiting for.

I used tcpdump since I didn't have to download it.  I don't understand
most of what it told me but there was some weird stuff in there -- like
what appeared to be the router broadcasting a message asking for the
router's address.  That sent me into the router's configuration menus.
It's been years since I looked around in there.  For some reason, the
"static routes" table had an entry for the address it is assigning to
the new computer.  I took that incorrect information out and the network
is working as it should.

Right now, I'm really impressed with Fedora 9.  Even with a computer
newer than the OS, it installed and everything works without having
asked me a single, hardware-related question.

Thanks for your help.

Dave