Epson CX7400 printer and FC9 - FINAL STATUS

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat May 31 19:20:56 UTC 2008

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> The latest version of gutenprint is supposedly able to support this
> printer. Any idea where I find that? If there is one issue with Linux
> it's that by the time printer and scanner hardware is supported it's no
> longer in production. I can't count how many scanners I have bought
> (new) which just didn't work, and by the time they worked the new model
> or new firmware was out and I couldn't buy the one that works.
>
> Anyway, I would like to use this setup because it's quite neat but
> totally unsupported.
>
> Alternatively, if I could use the USB printer and scanner directly from
> Windows under kvm without causing the working system printers to die, I
> would do that. Last time I tried the printer worked but the rest of the
> system printers hung after I did it. :-(

The avasys drivers mentioned in <20080525084034.76be522c at laptop.davep>
do indeed work magnificently with Linux and the CX7400, but only on FC6.
I have no issue keeping my printer/scanner on FC6 for the moment, but I
hope at some point this package will be updated. I suspect that I can
run FC6 in a virtual machine if I really want to upgrade, but for the
moment I'm fine.

The trick with the scanner is to use iscan, xsane doesn't work. I'm
going to try that with a few of the other scanners I have around, you
never outgrow your need for deskside scanning.

Thanks to dpet who mentioned this package and got me to look at it a
thrid time (one of the folks on IRC talked me into retrying once before)
and iscan was the solution to the input end of the problem.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>