Wireless Cards & Drivers

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Mon Nov 3 04:18:36 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Graeme Nichols wrote:
>
>> I am one of the lucky laptop owners with a wireless network card that
>> the manufacturers supply a Linux driver for, Ralink Technology.
>
> I don't think this is necessarily very lucky.
> In my experience (with an Orinoco USB WiFi dongle)
> the driver is almost certain to stop working
> with later versions of the kernel.

Hi Timothy,

My only experience with a wireless card in Linux is the Ralink
Technology card. From experience they are very helpful.

I had upgraded my kernel from the original F9 kernel and the Linux
driver for the wireless card I downloaded didn't compile. An email to
their support and a new driver was made available within a day. Being
new to Linux wireless I wasn't sure how to configure it for my AP. Again
they were very helpful pointing out that I needed to use NetworkManager
to configure instead of the usual system-config-network app.

They really support their wireless cards for Linux.

--
Kind regards,

Graeme Nichols.
Registered Linux User 381781 (http://counter.li.org/)