Is F9 Security an oxymoron?

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Fri Nov 7 09:10:57 UTC 2008

Dave Feustel wrote:
> I ask this because I am having new and persistant problems with both
> Firefox and Konqueror running on 32-bit F9. The problems suggest DOS
> exploits, and I wonder just how these exploits are being implemented
> against the two browsers.

Install and run "iptraf".  Go to "Detailed interface statistics" and
select the interface connected to the internet.  Watch "Total rates" for
a while.  If those numbers are near your internet connections maximum
bandwidth, then *maybe* you're being DOSed.  Otherwise, you're not.

> I am pretty much of the conclusion that all operating systems can be
> cracked straightforewardly, mostly because of security holes in X11,
> which is becoming a requirement of effective computer use.

No, it isn't.  The vast majority of computers do not use X11, and as
pointed out: modern Linux systems don't make X11 remotely accessible at all.

> Is anyone aware of legislation passed by Congress in 1995 mandating
> that ALL computers be remotely accessible regardless of OS running on
> the computer?

No, and I suspect that if you attempt to identify the bill, you'll find
that there isn't one.  The government also can not watch you through
your television or computer monitor.

> I normally keep these thoughts to myself, but the increasing buginess of
> the two browsers on F9 is beginning to aggravate me. All this seems to
> have gotten much worse after I posted a review on Amazon of the book
> _Judaism Discovered_ by Michael Coffman. I bought the book after I
> discovered that the book had been banned by Amazon, the only book ever
> banned by Amazon.  Could I have pissed off someone by buying and/or
> reviewing the book? :-)

It seems far fetched.

> Attempting to post this, I got a shell error: cannot connect to
> port 587. Connection Refused.

Talk to your ISP about why it might have been unavailable briefly.