F9 installation

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Sun Nov 9 12:43:37 UTC 2008

On 11/06/2008 01:44 PM, Germán Racca wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> I want to install Fedora 9 in a computer that already has Fedora 8,
> but in a seprate place, just to have 2 different versions in one computer.
> I new that in order to do it, I will have to create or resize a partition.
> Well, when I run the installation DVD for Fedora 9 I get the following
> screen:
>
> Drive /dev/sda (114471 MB) (Model: ATA SAMSUNG HD120IJ)
> sda2
> 114274 MB
>
>    DEVICE            MOUNT POINT/VOLUME    TYPE    SIZE (MB)
>
> LVM Volume Groups
>
> VolGroup00
> 114272
>
> LogVol00
> ext3         113216
>
> LogVol01
> swap           1024
>
> Hard Drives
>   /dev/sda
>
> /dev/sda1
> ext3            196
>     /dev/sda2                      VolGroup00              LVM PV
> 114275
>
> I have tried to do a lot of thing but no success. How could I get a space
> of approximately 30 GB to install another Linux, in my case Fedora 9?
I think Aldo gave you a decent answer. You are stuck with LVM, but you
still should be able to set up for a dual boot.
Problem 1 is /dev/sda1 is set up as your /boot partition. You will
probably need to share this which means some manual editing of
/boot/grub/grub.conf.
Resizing of an LVM logical partition can be accomplished via the
system-config-lvm graphical LVM utility. Or you can use the
nonm-graphical commands, such as resize2fs and lvm.

However possibly a better way might be to use a virtual machine, such as
virtual box, and install Fedora 9 in virtualbox.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix