F9 and move to Hyperthreaded processor

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Sun Nov 16 15:07:17 UTC 2008

On 11/15/2008 06:03 PM, Bob Kinney wrote:
> Hello--
>
> I am running F9 on an older box that has a Pentium 4 non-hyperthreaded
> processor--it works great.
>
> I want to plop in a hyperthreaded processor--let's assume here that the processor and mainboard are compatible and working fine together.
>
> When I fire this system back up, how will the kernel react?
>
> I have read that SMP is built into the kernel already, so will it simply
> pick up on the "extra" processor and begin working in hyperthreaded/dual
> processor mode or will this be an OS rebuild event (or something
> in between)?

Be wary of hyperthreading. AFAIK, Intel no longer supports this feature
in their processors. First, there are a number of applications that
actually suffer from hyperthreading. For instance, my company's product
runs significantly slower on a system with hyperthreading enabled.  So,
make sure you runs some tests. It was a good idea to extend the old
single core processors. A colleague of mine also found some bugs in the
microcode.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix