Which filesystem for SSD in F10?

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Mon Nov 17 15:09:20 UTC 2008

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Which filesystem for SSD in F10?
From: Steve Snyder <swsnyder at snydernet.net>
Date: 11/17/2008 06:32 AM

> Shortly after it's released, I'll be doing a clean install of Fedora 10
> on a solid-state disk (SSD).  This disk will contain all but the /home
> directory structure.
>
> Is there an optimal (and F10-supported) filesystem for use on SSDs, or
> should I just opt for the default?
>
> Thanks.

There are many Linux flash filesystems, but Fedora does not support any
of them.

You're stuck with EXT2/3/4, XFS, ReiserFS, or JFS.

Personally, I'd take XFS and set the "noatime" mount option. XFS caches
metadata and file data until it is ready to commit, in the least
obtrusive way. Setting "noatime" will stop Linux from setting the access
time on every file when its accessed. This will help SSD life. Remember
though, it's just my personal opinion. You could get the same through
EXT2/3/4. EXT4 is similar to XFS from what I've read, but it is a brand
new file system. XFS has had a decade of use (not all good though, I'll
admit).