New FU9 x86-32 install on spare box, how to switch to kde?

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 23 14:08:07 UTC 2008

--- On Sun, 11/23/08, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: New FU9 x86-32 install on spare box, how to switch to kde?
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
> Date: Sunday, November 23, 2008, 6:02 AM
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 05:45:31AM -0800, Antonio Olivares
> wrote:
> > --- On Sun, 11/23/08, Gene Heskett
> <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
> > >2. I can't run yum cuz its already busy.
> What's
> > >with that?
> >
> > as root su -
> > # rm /var/rum/yum.pid -f
> >
> > then yum will be free to run as you like.
>
> That's usually not a good idea.  The lock is probably
> being held by a
> temporary PackageKit process, and you should simply wait
> for it to
> complete.  If you can't stand to wait, find the
> PackageKit process and
> kill it.  Removing the resources yum uses to tell if
> there's a lock
> going is counterproductive since you'll probably get a
> different (and
> more head-scratching) error when you try to run a second
> copy.
>
> $ ps axw | grep '\(pk\|PackageKit\)'
>
> You'll probably need to be root to kill any back-side
> PackageKit stuff
> if it's running.  Again, it might be that a little
> patience will go a
> long way.  Remember you can tune PackageKit's timing
> using the System
> / Preferences / System / Software Updates tool.
>
> --
> Paul W. Frields
> http://paul.frields.org/
>   gpg fingerprint: 3DA6 A0AC 6D58 FEC4 0233  5906 ACDB C937
> BD11 3717
>   http://redhat.com/   -  -  -  -
> http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/
>   irc.freenode.net: stickster @ #fedora-docs,
> #fedora-devel, #fredlug
> --

I had patience, but I let it run and it ran for a great while and did nothing :(.  I apologize but there are/were many times that package kit took very long and I preferred to do the little hack then run
# yum clean all
# yum clean metadata
# yum update -y

NOTE:  on two out three machines it(PackageKit is getting the job done, but it is hard to break old/bad habits) :)

Regards,

Antonio