Packages without source?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Nov 27 16:56:05 UTC 2008

Why are there packages for which there are no corresponding source? Given the
number of packages which are not part of Fedora because they are not licensed in
open enough fashion, I would expect that all of the packages which are available
as binary are also available as source.

My latest run-in with this is xawtv, which I believe I got from rawhide, version
"xawtv.i386 3.95-8.fc9" for which I find no source. It appears to be compiled in
some "safe" configuration, with no mmx, sse, etc, and is dog slow. I attempted
to compile the source from the original site, but that will not compile with the
current FC9 or 10 gcc.

I'm more curious about why the source from which the RPM was built isn't
available than anything else, I can probably build a static version on FC6 in a
VM and move it over or just run it in the VM.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>