f10: what happened to XFCE?

Carroll Grigsby cgrigs at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 29 03:27:10 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 26 November 2008 11:19:28 am Kevin Fenzi wrote:

>>> snip

> Just install the Xfce live, or install any other spin/media and do:
> 'yum groupinstall xfce-desktop'
>
> Hope that clears things up.
>
> kevin

Thank you, Kevin. I wasn't aware of the groupinstall command. It worked like a
champ. I started with a Live (Gnome) CD install, did the groupinstall, then
loaded switchdesk and switchdesk-gui, and was up and running within a
half-hour.

A hint to anyone installing xfce: You will get an ugly message if you try to
access the Window Manager or Window Manager Tweaks apps, "These settings
cannot work with your current window manager (imsetting -xim)". The fix is to
do yum remove imsettings -- it will take a bunch of other files with it. (Not
my idea -- it's from the Fedora Project wiki as linked to from the Release
Notes.)

-- cmg